Thursday 1 November 2012

The Halloween Post

Greetings, fellow humans!

Halloween has come and gone, tragically. I absolutely love Halloween, and have gone out door-to-door for every single year that I've been able. Sure, there were a few years in there where I was "too old," but now I have an excuse! A damn good excuse. Trick Or Eat is a program where people who sign up go door to door on Halloween to collect food for the food bank. The team I was a part of this year had about twenty people, despite the cold and rain pitched usward by that rascally hurricane, Sandy. I wore this kappa kigurumi, and B wore this angry tiger kigurumi, which we ordered from Fab.com sometime last summer. They were very warm and comfortable, which was nice because it was rather cold.

We also carved jack-o-lanterns, made Halloween garland, and baked Halloween sugar cookies!

Below are my Finn and Jake pumpkins. The Jake one rolled off the table and broke when I was carving it, so I held it together with toothpicks. He kind of looks like Pinhead. I was pleased with them overall, though a bit disappointed that I let the Jake one break.

The cute toothy pumpkins were B's idea (B here; I definitely stole this idea from Pinterest). She got small pumpkins from a friend, bought those crappy plastic vampire fangs, and put them in the pumpkin. I think they look awesome. They've got a lot of personality, and  were surprisingly easy to do. They turned out a lot better than my Finn and Jake pumpkins, sadly.

The winky one is one of my favourites.


This is my other favourite. It's saying hello.

I made this crying one. I even carved out little tears under the eyes. Originally the eyes were really uneven in their height, so I just made them bigger. Problem solved.

The bat garland was made from bats cut from craft foam, with black string threaded through it. This project was definitely B's baby, but I think it's really nice. Very minimalistic, festive, and easy to do. Overall, everything I look for in holiday decorations.




Here are the cookies I made! They're my mum's recipe. The white and pink icing turned out a bit runny, but the purple and green icing worked out really well. It gets hard when it sits for a bit, so it's good for this sort of thing. You can see the edge of the cookie and it's all very arty.



Today is also my birthday! B's very busy with school today, so we're going to celebrate when she has more time. I think we're going to make French onion soup. It's going to be delicious. I'm really excited. She gave me my gifts today, though, and they are perfect.

A small elephant-shaped cutting board, a cute bear face bowl, and seeds!

Not just any seeds, friends. Seeds of the Assam bhut jolokia and Congo Black habanero. The bhut jolokia is one of the hottest peppers on the planet, native to the Assam region of Indian. The seeds I have are the wildtype seeds, I believe. I'm looking forward to growing them in the spring! Chili peppers have the reputation of being hard to grow. I guess we'll see.

<3K.



1 comment: